Monday, June 2, 2014

A Real Writer

Last month, I posted on feeling like a Big Fat Phony, a not uncommon emotion writers/artists face. Our work is such a personal endeavor and when it comes to putting it out there, it can feel like we're sitting under a giant magnifying glass perched to study our enlarging pores and deepening wrinkles.

On May 31, I went to BEA (Book Expo of America) in NYC. It was the first convention I've ever attended and probably wouldn't have gone except my fab publisher, Spencer Hill Press invited me to do an ARC signing of ZODIAC COLLECTOR. (Eeeep!)

When I first arrived, I had to stare like a tourist at the enormity of it all. The Javits Center was HUGE. The number of people milling about in crisscrossing paths was astounding. And I felt like the newest newbie ever. Thankfully, people were really friendly and I was able to find my way to registration and then to Spencer Hill's booth.

It was easy to get caught up in the excitement of meeting the folks at Spencer Hill. They were genuine and fun and engaging. Extend that to the thousands of attendees sharing their love of books and reading. Soon, I found myself unable to stop smiling.

Here's my editor, Jennifer Carson and me. Kell Andrews is in the background. Check out Jennifer's MG, Hapenny Magick. ;)

While I admit I didn't initially feel like I belonged there (I'm a country girl loving the quiet life, LOL!), the crowd and Spencer Hill team made me feel at ease pretty quickly. (I lost count at the number of hugs I received and gave.)

Then it was my turn to sign with another author. (Kell Andrews is a FABulous lady and her middle grade book (coming late June 2014), DEADWOOD, sounds AMAZING!!!) I readied my pens, set out bookmarks and chocolate (a BIG hit, by the way), and reviewed my signature blurb as the line of more than SIXTY convention attendees formed to get a signed copy of MY BOOK. WOW.

ARC of ZODIAC COLLECTOR

Once I started signing, it was pretty easy. Smiling faces, excitement for books, and small chit chat about Renaissance Faires (a prominent setting in ZODIAC), and the universal love of chocolate carried me through the signing with ease.

And you know what thought I had while signing? I'M A REAL WRITER.

Why?

BECAUSE I'M CONNECTING WITH READERS.

And isn't that what it's all about?

Can't wait to do it again!

Kell and me signing at BEA 2014!

* * * * * 

Laura Diamond is a board certified psychiatrist and author of all things young adult paranormal, dystopian, and horror. She’s a lucid dreamer, meaning she can direct her dreams while they’re happening. When she’s awake, she pens stories from her dreams and shares them with her readers. Laura has many published titles including the Pride Series (New Pride, Shifting Pride, and Tsavo Pride), the Endure Series (Endure and Evoke), The Zodiac Collector, a novella Sunset Moon in the Lore anthology, and several shorts stories. When she’s not writing, she is working at the hospital, blogging at Author Laura Diamond--Lucid Dreamer, and renovating her 225+ year old fixer-upper mansion.

If you’re interested in reading more about me, or interacting with me on the web check out the following links:

Author Laura Diamond: www.authorlauradiamond.com

Hope to “see” you soon! 




5 comments:

  1. This sounds really exciting, Laura! Fun to read about. I'd love to go to BEA ('cept I'm nervous about going to the big NYC). Thanks for hosting this, YAtopia, and thanks Laura for the tips and peek into BEA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your book signing and the feeling of purpose connecting with readers gave you--how liberating! I'm preparing to self-publish and I feel the magnifying glass scrutiny coming on. I admit, it's a little uncanny and I've been questioning things lately. But like you, I know I'm a writer and this is what I love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connecting with readers - yep, that is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my dream someday!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete