Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer Writing

Happy summer everyone!

I have to admit that as much as I love summer, it's my most stressful time of year. "Time" being the key word. I lose all of my time to write in the summer. The days are packed with keeping the kids busy. As a mom, it's exhilarating to make all these special memories. As a homemaker it's exhausting to see the extra amount of housework summer brings. As a writer...forget about it. It's nearly impossible to make time. Throughout the year, nights are when I get most of my writing done, but by the time my sun-soaked kiddos crash, I'm ready to pass out with them!

That is...except for the one week of the summer when we go to the beach. We showed up at the beach house today, and I already sense stirrings inside that warm, soft part of my mind where ideas form and grow. It's a feeling--an energy--and despite how active I am while here, something about the beach makes me want to write with the full passion that the atmosphere begs from me. I flippin' love that feeling. And I love that I can pet my laptop and give my husband puppy dog eyes, and he'll take the kids out to the sand while I have some story time with the sound of the surf right outside my window.

This is where I envisioned my entire trilogy (when it was still a single, stand-alone story under consideration with the publisher). This is where I reconnect with the muse that's forced into hiding during the summer. This is where I recharge my imagination batteries. Thank God for the beach. <3

Nags Head, NC beach house (belongs to a friend, not us, lol)


Do you have a special place you escape to write when things get busy?

Hugs, Wendy

9 comments:

  1. I don't get to go there much at the moment, but I wrote a lot of my first novel at the local beaches. Cut off from wifi makes me more productive =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year the beach house has wifi! It's weird. :-)

      Delete
  2. You said 'when' .... does that mean there's good news then? :D

    And I just have my couch....it's not very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No news! *dies*
      Couches can be enthralling when you're lost in story world, lol.

      Delete
    2. I THOUGHT THEY SAID JUNE >_<

      Delete
    3. Technically July 1st...but publishing peeps merely use deadlines as roundabout times, lol!

      Delete
  3. Glad you've found your happy place! :) I have to force myself to make writing time over the summer - as a teacher, it's the only time I can really block time away for it.
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous beach house. I'm delighted to hear that writing is going on. <3 Sweet Evil!!!

    My escape place is my room. Not as gorgeous as the beach, but it works its own magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is my writing time. Right now, my goal is to have my MS polished and perfect by the end of summer. So I'm going crazy with editing (because it is all finished) and trying to make it perfect :)

    ReplyDelete